Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Art of Architectural Photography 10-18-2014

My passion for architecture is not focused on any one style or period in particular.  I just love buildings, structures, ornamentation, building materials, railings, et al.   I must admit a fondness, however, for Art Deco.  The wonderfully imaginative perspective of architects such as Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright and Josef Hoffmann inspires my architectural photography and motivates me to look at my subjects in new ways.

Architecture that is designated as Art Deco in NYC is frequently lavished with ornamentation that is dynamic, compelling and enormously engaging.  The Art Deco genre originally abstracted traditional design and incorporated geometric motifs related to the machine age into architecture, art, fashion, jewelry and many other aesthetics.  It is a style that energizes the viewer.  The bold symmetry of Art Deco, such as that of the design that makes NYC's Chrysler Building instantly recognizable and powerfully iconic, gives it a unique look.  One that is intensely appealing to me.  

A recent article about Cubism also interested me greatly.  Cubism abstracts, yet has a very structural style.  The forms and lines of Cubist paintings create an Art Deco feel for me.  The genres definitely overlap.  It was from the influences of Art Deco and Cubism that I decided to abstract an already abstracted photograph I took some months ago.  In looking at the image I was struck by the forms and the design they created when juxtaposed with each other.  The horizontal initial shot was then further altered into the vertical.  As I manipulated the image, Art Deco elements began to appear. 

It's all about point of view.



Architectural photography
Architectural photography

For more information about Art Deco and Cubism visit:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323475304578499074267279476
http://www.decolish.com/Cubism.html#axzz3GLh89iNr
http://char.txa.cornell.edu/art/decart/artdeco/artdeco.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment